Wednesday, May 17, 2017

EUROPE TRIP 2016 - PART 1: LONDON


Exactly one year ago, this month, I was on one of the most exciting adventures of my life (so far). I had intended to update my blog while I was on this amazing journey, but as it turns out, it's incredibly difficult to squeeze a Macbook into a carry on backpack that is only 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (baggage restrictions courtesy of RyanAir). So, here I am, exactly one year later, FINALLY posting about this truly incredible experience. But, I promise I'll make this extremely long wait worth your while. There will be A LOT more blog posts and other surprises to come in the near future.

Side Note: While attempting to take hundreds of photos and videos in order to document my journey, modern technology and European WiFi decided to work against me and I ended up loosing over half of my photos and videos...Moral of the story? Don't trust "The Cloud". 

So, now that you know about my tragic experience, you'll understand why I have hardly any photos or videos from the beginning of my trip. The best I could do in order to give you a glimpse of my experience in London was to re-use the very few photos I posted to Instagram while I was actually there (Instagram is @brittanyalexandrataylor..if you wanna check it out :)).



Prior to heading to London I was upgraded to first class, so, it's safe to say that the trip was off to a VERY good start (you can never go wrong with free food & wine). Once we arrived in London things took a bit of a rocky turn..long story short, it included hours of dragging our bags through the streets of London until FINALLY getting let in to our AirBnB. Aside from our minor AirBnB confusion (which makes for a very funny story now, if I do say so myself), London ended up being absolutely amazing. I am anxiously awaiting the day I get to go back there (or move there...who knows?). From the cute little Italian bakery/restaurant next to our apartment, to visiting the Portobello market, to the little red telephone booths and double-decker buses, to seeing Big Ben and experiencing all of the other tourist-y attractions for the very first time, London will always hold a very special place in my heart.


Top tips for visiting London? If it's your first time, definitely go ahead and visit all of the iconic London tourist attractions but, if things don't go quite as planned, or if a new opportunity presents itself, don't be afraid to stray from what you had initially set out to do. Spontaneity and taking risks can make an otherwise ordinary tourist-y experience, extraordinary. 

Example: my friends and I had intended to visit Big Ben and grab a few drinks in a pub, then get back to our apartment and crash half-early so we could get an early start the following day. Instead, we wound up making some new friends while we were at the pub, explored more of the city by night, and ended the night by checking out London's night-life scene. Safe to say we weren't able to wake up as early as we had intended the following day, but it was definitely worth it for the memories we made. 



....and I guess meeting Pietro Boselli wasn't too bad either ;)


Oops, almost forgot! On our last day in London, it was brought to our attention that the train station we had been using on a regular basis, the train station that was also located RIGHT BESIDE our AirBnB, was the same train station that was home to Platform 9 and 3/4's!?!? We definitely paid a very special visit to King's Cross Station that day, and the Harry Potter fan in me was totally freaking out. 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Brittany Taylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig